Frequently Asked Questions

What is a rooming house / co-living property ?

A rooming house or “co-living property” is a building where one or more rooms are available to rent and four or more independent people in total can occupy the premises on individual leases. Rooming houses (Co-living properties) will also generally have a common area such as a shared kitchen or dining room.

In Victoria this is also known as Class 1B style accommodation and will usually range between four and nine rooms. In New South Wales and Queensland this may be referred to as a boarding house. Each state has different legislative requirements governing the operation of rooming or boarding houses.

Why do I need a rooming house/ co-living manager?

Unlike a traditional residential property, rooming houses (co-living) require a high-touch management approach to ensure their smooth operation. Selecting the right rooming house manager is vital to ensure that your rooming house operates smoothly and profitably.
As part of our rooming house (co-living) management service, Certainty Property will take care of all of the day to day operations including:

  • Collecting and disbursing rent
  • Managing rental arrears
  • Advertising, sourcing and screening tenants
  • Signing lease agreements
  • Incoming, outgoing and routine inspections
  • Arrange maintenance and repairs
  • Creating and enforcing ‘house rules’
  • Compliance with applicable legislation
  • Represent you at Tribunal as required
  • Liaising with local council

Fundamentally, our role as rooming house managers is to act in your best interests to ensure your rooming house investment is as stress-free and profitable as possible. We take these obligations very seriously and are the only rooming house manager to offer a rent guarantee that aligns our incentives with yours.
Turn your property into a stress-free and profitable investment with Certainty Property.